I like making things that are interactive, respond instantaneously, and communicate ideas elegantly. I’m big on small files that do a lot, banishing unnecessary stateful UX, documentation as I go, and recyclable object-oriented structures. When I’m not programming for work, I do it for fun, and when I’m not designing things for work I do it for fun. I’m seeking a position that is looking for someone who has a passion for bridging the gap or even managing it.
- User Experience Research
- Data Modeling
- Usability Interviews
- Creating custom data retrieval and analysis solutions
- Interactive Design
- gut checks
- Rapid Prototyping
- Job stories
- Eye tracking
- Front-End Web Development
- creating custom frameworks
- complex responsive layouts on grid and off
- minimalist semantic markup for accessibility and SEO
- Back-End Web Development
- Prerendering HTML with lightweight workflows
- Custom content management systems
- Microservices and Functions for AWS or Firebase
- Using Apollo Server to unify multiple API endpoints
Technologies & Teachings
- Web Technologies
- CSS Grid
- Computer Graphics
- Raspberry Pi
- Automation & Scripting
- Operating Systems
User Experience & Front-End Web Developer Aug 2015 - Aug 2018 / Richland Library (Columbia, SC)
- Richland Library is a nationally acclaimed, South Carolina State run, public library.
- Designed and styled buildingyourlibrary.com to showcase the renovation of 12+ physical locations.
- Deployed a digital wayfinding kiosk using a Vue, Vuex, and Mapbox frontend, and Node backend on Google Firebase
- Learned to love: Node.js, Webpack, Babel, Vue, Graph Databases, Card Sorts, Eye Tracking, GraphQL, Airtable, working with a large content team, and of course public libraries as a whole
Designer & Developer Sep 2013 - Jul 2015 / Caktus Consulting Group (Carrboro, NC)
- Caktus is a Django development shop that has an affinity for humanitarian clients.
- Designed and made art for a gamified medication adherence app targeted at youths with HIV.
- Provided UX to Mozilla for their Mozillians.org phonebook and wrote JS/CSS.
- Obtains skills in building interactive and animated mockups, user testing under strict privacy restrictions, code linting, progressive web applications, local storage, jinja2 templates, contributing to a git repository with heavy activity.
Designer Sep 2011 - Sep 2012 / Avelist (Raleigh, NC)
- Avelist.com was a startup offered list-making and sharing as an online service.
- Lead the design process with the team’s developers and owner.
- Created a design brief with iterations, and translated layouts into markup for templates.
- Obtained skills using UX playbooks, Mercurial, test-driven development, touch events, and hallway usability testing
Front-End Developer / Neogence (Raleigh, NC)
- Developed a custom CSS framework to meet complex layout demands
- Lead the team through a redesign after investors expressed dissatisfaction with the start-up's original product. The new product aggregated social media posts by geolocation.
- Obtained skills in jQuery UI, mobile app development, scrum & agile workflows, project management
- Why I left: I was only willing to work without pay for 1 month.
Developer & Designer Jan 2010 - June 2013 / Intuvoe (Raleigh, NC)
- Intuvoe was a contract webdev shop focused on e-learning.
- Built courses for clients and improved the company’s workflow by building in-house scripts.
- Built full web sites and fixed existing sites for clients using various technology stacks.
- Obtained skills using SVN, Drupal, CodeIgniter, Flash, git, Python, Web Inspectors, regular expressions, vim, working with various types of clients (university, startup, personal connections, commission, & otherwise)
University of North Carolina Asheville Fall 2006 - Spring 2009
Degree: Interactive Multimedia Arts & Sciences (BA) Focuses: Interactive Design / Realtime Graphics / Actionscript 3 / AJAX / Print Design
Wake Technical Community College Fall 2003 - Spring 2005
Focuses: C++ / Physics / Math / Writing / Public Speaking / Music Theory